Toggle menu

Empty properties or second homes

If you own an empty property or second home the amount of Council Tax you pay will depend on how it is classified.

You will pay full council tax if your property is:

  • a furnished property used as a second homes
  • a furnished property or second home which has a restricted use such as holiday chalets
  • empty and unfurnished
  • empty and in need of or undergoing structural alteration or major repair
  • empty due to occupant living in job related armed services accommodation
  • empty and forms part of another property that is in use such as an empty annexe in an occupied home

If you have a second home but there is a liable person living in defined job related accommodation you will receive a 50% discount.

Empty Property Premium

If you own a property which has been empty and unfurnished for 1 year or more, you will pay an additional premium on your Council Tax. You will pay the full Council Tax charge plus an additional premium; this will show as a separate charge on your Council Tax bill.

From April 1 2024, the following additional premiums will apply:

  • one to five years: 100%
  • five to ten years: 200%
  • over ten years: 300%

The Council is keen to help owners return their properties back into useful accommodation and it has a dedicated Empty Homes Team, who are committed to supporting owners of unoccupied properties achieve this.

For further information please contact the Empty Homes Team on 01642 527797, or email or visit the Council's empty properties webpage.

There are two exceptions to the Empty Homes Premium, it cannot be applied if:

  • the empty dwelling is the sole or main residence of a member of the armed forces who is absent from the property as a result of such service
  • an unoccupied annexe in a property is being used as part of the main dwelling in the property

If you believe your property may fall into one of these categories please contact Customer Service on 01642 397108.