Toggle menu

The Home Improvement Agency (HIA)

We provide advice, support and assistance to those who are eligible to help maintain their independence and stay warm, safe and secure at a home of their choosing.

Am I eligible for the support from the HIA? 

To access the HIA, you will need to meet the eligibility criteria. 

You must be:

  • a vulnerable older adult who has care and support needs or at risk of developing such needs
  • a person identified at risk of trips and falls in or around the home
  • a person being discharged from hospital
  • a vulnerable person who is victim of crime
  • a person who requires the installation of sensory loss equipment as requested by the council's Sensory Loss Team

Services HIA provide

Minor Adaptions Service

Our team works in partnership with Children's and Adult Social Care Services to install minor adaptations and sensory loss equipment around the home such as:

  • grabrails
  • banisters
  • handrails

We also provide a hospital discharge service to help you return home after a hospital stay. 

We provide urgent and routine minor adaptations and simple fixings to ensure safe and independent living.

If you need a care and support assessment to access minor adaptions service, contact the First Contact Team:

Handyperson Service

We provide help with low level DIY type jobs that will reduce accidents, falls and unnecessary hospital admissions. Clients who are eligible will be allowed two free labour hours within a 6 month period.

You can contact the Home Improvement Agency directly:

  • telephone: 01642 526904
  • email:


Have you recently had work carried out at your home by the Stockton-on-Tees Home Improvement Agency?

We are committed to improving our standards of service where possible, and therefore would welcome your feedback on the recent work.

 Complete the Stockton-on-Tees HIA customer experience survey


Other support available

Warm Homes Healthy People

Helping you to stay warm and well during the cold weather.

Help to improve your home

Find out how to get help to carry out essential repairs in your home.