Your Council Tax bill
Here is some additional information to help you understand your Council Tax bill.
- this is the financial year that relates to your bill
- name and address of person responsible for paying the bill
- property address which the charge relates to. If post is re-directed to a different address it will show here
- account number - please quote this in any communications to us
- how the Council Tax charge is calculated. The charge includes precepts we collect for the Police and Crime Commissioner, fire authority and parish councils.
- breakdown of the bill showing the full charge for the property and period it covers, plus any discounts/exemptions and adjustments made to your bill. Anything followed by the letters 'CR' means that the value will be deducted from the bill. Anything without CR means adjustments will be added to your bill. Read more about exemptions and discounts, or more about the Council tax support fund.
- the amount you have to pay
- this is the amount owed from the previous year or years, however this balance is calculated with payments made until 22 February 2023. If you have paid an amount since then or you have an arrangement to pay a further payment, this will not be shown on this bill. If you pay by Direct Debit, this may be your final instalment
- details of your payment instructions. If you are paying by Direct Debit, it will say "the instalments shown below will be collected by Direct Debit". Direct Debit continues from year to year unless it has been cancelled. If you have chosen to pay by standing order, you will need to contact your bank to renew the amount each time you receive a new or amended bill
- the date the bill was issued, the reason why the bill has been issued and the reference number for the property
At the bottom of your bill, you will see a box detailing your payment instructions. If you are paying by Direct Debit, it will say "the instalments shown below will be collected by Direct Debit". Direct Debit continues from year to year unless it has been cancelled.
If you have chosen to pay by standing order, you will need to contact your bank to renew the amount each time you received a new or amended bill.
The balance of your new bill is usually calculated with payments made until the end of February. If you have paid an amount since then or you have an arrangement to pay a further payment, this will not be shown on your bill.
What is a precept?
Some of your Council Tax bill goes towards the funding of both the Police and Crime Commissioner for Cleveland and the Cleveland Fire Authority These are called precepts. They are included as part of your bill and the Council has no influence over the charges that the police and fire authorities set.
Depending on where you live, your bill can also include parish council precepts too. These are often called town councils. These are independent from Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council and it is the responsibility of that parish council to calculate their own precepts in line with legalisation. They appear on your bill as the Council collects these on behalf of the town or parish councils, so you only get one bill.
Billingham Town Council Precept 2023/24
|Management and Support Costs||£148,242.00||£168,215.00|
|Recreation and Leisure (events)||£38,350.00||£11,500.00|
|Community Projects (inc JWP)||£26,000.00||£50,000.00|
|Gross precept (income)||£319,592.00||£331,720.00|
|LCTS grant (income)||£23,509.00||£23,509.00|
|Net precept (income)||£296,083.00||£308,211.00|
Ingleby Town Council Precept 2023/24
The Town Council set its budget in January 2023 and the precept requirement for 2023/24 is £180,300. A summary of the budget has been given in this table.
|Management and support costs||£80,250.00|
|Operation and running costs||£51,390.00|
|The Rings Community Hub and Youth Facility||£73,600.00|
|Christmas tree anmd lights||£10,000.00|
|Events and competitions||£10,000.00|
|Balance brought forward from 2022/23||£16,000.00|
|Local Council Tac Support Grant||£3,445.00|
|Seamer Wind Farms Receipts||£2,400.00|
Thornaby Town Council Precept 2023/24
|Town Hall Renovation||£0.00||£70,351.00|
Receive your bill in an alternative format
You can receive your Council Tax bill in large print or braille, or register for our Talking Bill service. Contact our customer services team for more details on 01642 397108.