Toggle menu

ECO4 scheme

The Energy Company Obligation (ECO) is a government energy efficiency scheme. Its aim is to help reduce carbon emissions and tackle fuel poverty by improving the energy efficiency of homes occupied by low income, fuel poor and vulnerable households over the next four years.

Under the new ECO4 scheme, the funding will cover the whole house retrofit approach, so multiple measures can be installed within the property.

The ECO4 scheme is managed by Ofgem and not by Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council.

Who qualifies for ECO4 funding? 

Low-income households who are in fuel poverty qualify for ECO4. If you receive benefits and live in a property with a low energy efficiency rating, then you can apply directly through an energy supplier. Funding is only available for private owner occupiers and private rented tenants.

Properties must have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of D or below in order to qualify for the ECO4 grant funding. You can check your Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) by visiting GOV.UK energy certificate.

If a property does not have an EPC, the ECO4 installer company may carry out a survey to determine the EPC rating of the property.

You may be eligible for funding if you are receiving at least one of the following benefits and satisfy the relevant income requirements, where applicable:

  • Child Benefit
  • Pension Guarantee Credit
  • Income related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Income based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)
  • Income Support
  • Tax Credits (Child Tax Credits and Working Tax Credits)
  • Universal Credit
  • Housing benefit
  • Pension credit saving credit.


ECO4 improvement measures you could qualify for

Your chosen installer(s) will carry out a survey and identify a package of improvements suitable for your property.

If eligible, you could qualify for any of the improvements listed below. This is not the full list and other improvements might be available depending on the installer.

  • loft insulation
  • pitched roof insulation
  • flat roof insulation
  • room in roof insulation
  • cavity wall insulation
  • external wall insulation
  • internal wall insulation
  • floor insulation (solid or suspended floors)
  • air source heat pumps
  • ground source heat pumps
  • gas boilers
  • electric boilers
  • biomass boilers
  • heating controls
  • electric storage heaters
  • solar PV panels
  • high performance external doors
  • window glazing
  • draught proofing


How to find a registered installer

It is your responsibility to choose an installer and carrying out checks to ensure you are satisfied with the installation company. Your chosen installer must be TrustMark registered.

Visit the TrustMark website to find a registered installer.

In order to help safeguard residents we have carried out extensive checks and a vetting process to ensure the installer companies listed below are fully compliant to deliver works under the ECO4 scheme within Stockton-on-Tees.

Each company listed below will be able to provide you with further information on the range of energy efficiency improvements they specialise in. Most companies have a website where you can find out more about them and how to contact them directly.

Please note, the installer companies listed below are not contracted by us and neither do they work on our behalf.

Registered installer

Contact details


Contact number: 01962 679048


Elite Group

Contact number: 01325 466016


Marshall and McCourt

Contact number: 01642 913200


Rothwell Plumbing Services

Contact number: 0845 058 0170


Heat4Energy Ltd

Contact number: 0800 998 7776


Insulation and Heating Installations Ltd

Contact number: 0800 048 590


Hamilton (Building Contractors) Ltd

Contact number: 08000 291966


We can't endorse or recommend any particular installer, but if you choose to engage with one of these installers, we recommend you check they are TrustMark registered, using the website above.

Once you have chosen your installer, we recommend you request to see their company ID when they visit your property. Make sure they leave you with their contact details in case you want to check on the status of your application after they leave because we will not have access to this information.


What else you need to check

It is your responsibility to carry out the following checks:

  • do you need planning permission or building regulations approval: certain types of insulation such as external wall insulation might need planning permission and building regulations approval and as a homeowner or landlord it will be your responsibility to apply for this
  • find out if the installer is a member of a competent person scheme related to electrics or insulation work, like the MCS, NICEIC, CIGA or Stroma schemes, if they are then they will be able to self-certify their work, rather than needing to get building regulations approval from your local council
  • make sure they are Gas Safe registered, by law all engineers installing gas boilers must be on the Gas Safe Register
  • check if they provide any guarantees or warranties on the installation and make sure you are provided with these and any other associated paperwork upon completion of an install


If you are not happy with the installation

Any complaints or issues regarding the ECO4 scheme in the first instance should be referred back to the ECO4 installer company which has carried out the works at the property. The ECO4 installer company has a standard complaints procedure which they must follow to address any complaints.

If you feel that your complaint has not been dealt with sufficiently by your chosen ECO4 installer, you can then contact us through our complaints process. However, we will only be able to provide further advice on how to escalate the complaint further.

You can also contact Citizens Advice Consumer Services for free impartial advice.


Have any further questions about ECO?

Visit the Ofgem ECO webpage for more information.


Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon