Toggle menu

Apply for a carers' emergency card

A carers' emergency card lets people know that someone relies on you for support if you are in an accident or an emergency.

The card has a contact number on that anyone can call to get advice on what to do if they find it in an emergency. It should only be used if you are physically unable to make arrangements yourself. 

The information you provide for your emergency card is sent to the Stockton Adult Carers Support Service. We store it securely and share it with our Emergency Duty Team (EDT) who provide an out-of-hours service. 


You can register for the scheme if you are over 18 and you provide support to someone who:  

  • is a resident of Stockton-on-Tees 
  • cannot be home alone for any extended period 

How to register 

To register for an emergency card, you need to provide:  

  • your details 
  • details of the person you care for 
  • 2 individuals who have agreed to take on your caring responsibilities in your absence 
  • any alternative arrangements such as emergency respite care 

If you do not have anyone that you can nominate as an emergency contact, you can still apply for an emergency card. We will work to arrange social care services in the event of an emergency. 

Apply for a carers' emergency card 

Replace a lost or stolen card 

Contact us if you need to replace your card:  


Tell us if your details have changed 

You should tell us about changes to: 

  • your details 
  • the details of the person 
  • your emergency contact details 

You should also tell us about changes to your circumstances, including if the person you care for : 

  • is hospitalised for a long period 
  • moves to residential or nursing care 
  • passes away 

Contact us to tell us about a change: 


Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon