Toggle menu

Council Tax

House with user icon

Council Tax is a fee your local council charges you for the local services it provides like rubbish collection, libraries and regeneration schemes. Your payments also go towards policing, fire services and parish charges. The information contained within this page supports your Council Tax bill.

Who has to pay?

You'll usually have to pay Council Tax if you're 18 or over and own or rent a home.

A full Council Tax bill is based on at least 2 adults living in a home. Spouses and partners who live together are jointly responsible for paying the bill.

You'll get 25% off your bill if you count as an adult for Council Tax and either:

  • you live on your own
  • no-one else in your home counts as an adult

You will not have to pay any Council Tax if everyone in your home, including you, is a full-time student. Depending on your circumstances, you may be eligible for a Council Tax discount, reduction or exemption. We also have Council Tax Reduction which helps people on low income to pay their Council Tax.

What to pay and when

The amount of Council Tax you pay is based on the valuation band your property sits in. Find out the Council Tax band for your home using the GOV.UK postcode search.

Your Council Tax bill tells you how much you have to pay for the year, how the amount has been worked out and the dates you have to pay.

Find out the different ways to pay your Council Tax bill.

Cash office closures

Our cash offices located within Stockton, Thornaby and Billingham libraries have now closed permanently.

Where is my Council Tax spent?

Find out more about where Council money is spent and where it comes from.

How to appeal against your Council Tax bill

You can appeal your bill if you think we've made a mistake.