Toggle menu

Report anti-social behaviour

Anti-social behaviour can cover a range of issues, from an annoying disturbance such as loud music to serious acts of violence and harassment. This behaviour may be caused by individuals or involve groups of people.

How to report anti-social behaviour

Contact our Civic Enforcement service on 01642 607943 or

Your concerns will be passed onto a dedicated officer for that area who will be able to offer advice and information, and take action where necessary.

Other ways to report anti-social behaviour

You can also contact:

  • any Council or Thirteen Homes reception point
  • Stockton's Citizens Advice Bureau on 01642 633877
  • the Police on 01642 326326 or visit any Police Station (in an emergency ring 999)
  • Crime Stoppers on 0800 555111

What happens next?

We will talk to you to find out what is happening and how you are affected. We may contact other people, including the alleged perpetrator, to establish the facts.

We can then:

  • warn the alleged perpetrator
  • involve other agencies such as Social Services or the Police in criminal cases
  • refer you to a confidential mediation service for neighbours in conflict
  • discuss with other services depending on the nuisance being suffered

We will then take the most suitable of the following actions to reduce the level of anti-social behaviour if appropriate.

Acceptable Behaviour Contracts (ABCs) 

The content of the contract will be drawn up using evidence that has been gathered and failure to comply with the agreed terms can result in an Anti-Social Behaviour Injunction or Criminal Behaviour Order being sought where appropriate.


Anti-Social Behaviour Injunctions (ASBIs)

These are civil injunctions and do not give the individual a criminal record. They can prohibit behaviour and require the individual to take positive action in dealing with the underlying cause of said behaviour. 


Criminal Behaviour Orders (CBOs)

These focus on more serious offenders, who engage in criminal activity as well as anti-social behaviour. It can only be issued in conjunction with a sentence that is already imposed or if the individual has a conditional discharge.



The Council can only apply for an Injunction in certain situations, where the anti-social behaviour is causing serious problems that is affecting a community, or when there are threats or intimidation towards Council Officers.


Notice of Intention to Seek Possession (NOSP)

A NOSP can be served by a landlord where there is evidence of breach of tenancy. In most cases the NOSP will advise that eviction proceedings will not commence until 28 days after the notice has been served. 



The Civic Enforcement Service works with all housing providers to gather evidence that could be used for eviction proceedings. 


Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon