Toggle menu

Primary and secondary admissions prospectus

Pupils with Special Educational Needs (SEN)

All mainstream schools provide resources for children with special educational needs (SEN) and every school will have a special educational needs coordinator who has specific responsibility for pupils with SEN. The majority of children who have special educational needs have their needs met within local mainstream schools and receive additional resources where necessary through SEN Support.

Statemented pupils or pupils with an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)

If your child has an EHCP, you will receive a school preferences form from the Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) and Inclusion Service. If your child's EHCP states specialist provision and you express a preference for this type of school, your child will be given priority for a specialist school place.

In all cases, the SEND and Inclusion Service will consult with your preferred schools to make sure the schools would be able to meet your child's needs. 

Appeals process

If your child has a EHCP and you are not satisfied with the school place that the local authority has determined for your child you will be able to appeal to the special educational needs and disability tribunal. You will be given details about the appeal procedure when your child is issued with an amended EHCP identifying the allocated secondary school.


Contact the SEND and Inclusion Service for support

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon