Toggle menu

Voter ID

The UK Government has introduced a requirement for voters to show specific photo ID when voting at a polling station at some elections.

Forms of ID you can use to vote

You may already have a form of photo ID that is acceptable. You can use any of the following:

  • passport
  • driving licence (including provisional license)
  • blue badge
  • certain concessionary travel cards
  • identity card with PASS mark (Proof of Age Standards Scheme)
  • biometric Immigration document
  • defence identity card
  • certain national identity cards

For more information on which forms of photo ID will be accepted, visit the Electoral Commission website or call their helpline on 0800 328 0280.

If you don't have an accepted form of photo ID

If you don't already have an accepted form of photo ID, or you're not sure whether your photo ID still looks like you, you can apply for a free voter ID document, known as a Voter Authority Certificate. You can apply for voter ID at

Alternatively, you can complete a paper application form and send it to this address:

Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council

Electoral Registration Officer

Stockton-on-Tees Borough Council

Municipal Buildings

Church Road

TS18 1LD

To request an application form, or if you need any help with applying for a Voter Authority Certificate, call our Election Helpline on 01642 526196 or email

Find out more

If you have any questions or would like to find out more, go to the Electoral Commission website or call their helpline on 0800 328 0280.